Integrating the Curator Social Media Feed into the Event App or Virtual Portal
Curator.io is a powerful social media aggregation platform that PheedLoop offers a native and streamlined integration with. In particular, creating a free Curator account will allow you to display a social media feed in your virtual event's lobby or event app home page, pulling in posts from multiple social media sources - from Twitter and Facebook to Instagram and RSS as examples.
Note: Integrating Twitter will only be accessible with a paid Curator account, a majority of others allow to integrate for free like Instagram. For more information on pricing or what Curator offers, please visit their page here.
Quick Tip - While most events use Curator's free account, Curator does offer affordable monthly plans for more advanced features. If you do purchase a paid plan, feel free to use the code "friends-of-pheedloop" for 20% off for life. PheedLoop as a company does not benefit in any way from your choice to purchase a paid version of Curator.
Create an account with Curator.io
To begin this process, start by visiting https://curator.io/ and sign up for an account.
- From the Curator.io introduction screen, select SIGN UP, FREE FOREVER
- Select Submit
At this point, we recommend following along with Curator's own steps in their dashboard as they're great and complete, but the basic idea behind Curator is that you have Sources and Feeds. We recommend exploring their knowledge base as it contains a wealth of information. Especially the Sources & Feeds section.
- From the Curator.io home page, navigate to Organize
- Navigate to Default feed and select Add a Source
- Select a social media that is applicable with Curator (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc.)
- Select the type of post you would like depending on the social media you choose
- Connect a social media
- Select Next
Now that you have your source to pull from, it is time to curate. You typically don't have to do much at this step, unless you want to customize the posts that are in the feed pulling from the sources you've added. If nothing else, you can visit the Curate section to view all the posts your feed has pulled in. Sometimes you may want to delete some posts that may have been fetched from sources, which you can do here. Currently, PheedLoop's integration with Curator does not support pulling in custom posts. To learn more about the advanced functions curation allows, such as rules, explore the Curator knowledge base.
Integrate Curator’s Feed into PheedLoop
So you’ve created your Curator account, added some sources, and are ready to integrate custom posts/feed into PheedLoop, all you will need to do is grab the Feed Public Key.
Acquiring the Feed Public Key from Curator.io
- From the Curator.io home page, navigate to Publish
- Using the left hand side navigation menu, select Feed Public Key
- Select Copy
Placing the Feed Public Key into PheedLoop
- From the Event Dashboard, navigate to Experiences > Virtual > Settings
- Under Options, navigate to Curator.io Social Feed ID
- Paste the Feed Public Key that you copied from Curator.io
- Select Save Changes
Testing the Integration in the Event App and Virtual Portal
Testing in the Event App:
In terms of finding your social media feed in your Mobile Event App, it will be integrated under the name Twitter by default, you have the ability to customize this in the Event Dashboard by navigating to Experiences > Mobile App > Pages. Select Twitter from the pages list and in the editor form you can customize the Name and Icon.
- From the Event Dashboard, navigate to Event Portals > Mobile Event App > Mobile App Preview
- Select Twitter in the left hand side navigation menu
- If you have renamed it, it will still be available but now it will show up with the name you have chosen.
Testing in the Virtual Portal:
- From the Event Dashboard, navigate to Event Portals > Virtual Event Portal
- Select Lobby in the left hand side navigation menu
- Select # Social Wall